SNOW: U.S. Snowboarding Team Named at Copper
December 12, 2012
COPPER MOUNTAIN, CO – The 2013 U.S. Snowboarding Team halfpipe and slopestyle teams, led by Olympians Kelly Clark (West Dover, VT), Scotty Lago (Seabrook, NH), Louie Vito (Sandy, UT) and World Snowboard Tour champion Chas Guldemond (Reno, NV), was named today at Copper Mountain. The team features a world-class roster of 26 internationally ranked snowboarders. They begin their competition season with the Dew Tour Dec. 13-16 at Breckenridge followed by the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix, the first domestic FIS World Cup and a 5Star World Snowboard Tour event, Jan. 10-13 at Copper Mountain featuring halfpipe and, new for this season, slopestyle.
- The U.S. Snowboarding Team named 26 athletes including Olympic champion Kelly Clark (West Dover, VT), Olympic bronze medalist Scotty Lago (Seabrook, NH), and Olympic gold medalist Hannah Teter (Belmont, VT) to its 2013 team.
- Also named to the impressive roster were four-time Sprint U.S. Grand Prix champion and Olympian Louie Vito (Sandy, UT), World Snowboard Champion Chas Guldemond (Reno, NV) and Olympians Elena Hight (South Lake Tahoe, CA), U.S. Open champion, and Greg Bretz (Mammoth Lakes, CA).
- The U.S. Snowboarding halfpipe and slopestyle team makes up for almost half of the top ten athletes, in each discipline, according to the World Snowboard Tour.
- Burton a partner of the U.S. Snowboarding program will outfit U.S. Snowboarding halfpipe and slopestyle teams at the 2014 Olympic games.
- The announcement was made during a fan celebration for Copper Mountain’s 40th Anniversary season.
- Copper Mountain will play host to the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix, the first FIS domestic World Cup and 5Star World Snowboard Tour event, Jan. 10-13 with halfpipe and newly added for this season, slopestyle.
- The U.S. Snowboarding slopestyle team looks to make its Olympic debut with hopefuls, World Snowboarding Tour Champion Chas Guldemond (Reno, NV) and four-time X Games medalist Eric Willett (Breckenridge, CO).
The U.S. team has been a huge support and a contributor to the success of my snowboard career over the years. I am excited to be named to the team again, and am looking forward to this next season.
Snowboarding is about having fun and being on the team brings a whole new element of fun for me. It’s great to have teammates who are also your friends to ride with all the time and they push you to progress in competition too. Stoked for another season with coach Bill!
Mike Jankowski, Head U.S. Snowboarding Coach
It’s a great way to start off our season with a naming like this and get everyone together. These athletes have been training so hard and it’s cool to watch them progress in training and in competitions. I am looking forward to watching each and every one of our athletes achieve their goals for the season. I think we have a really cohesive team and before we know it, it will be 2014 and the Olympics will be upon us and I can’t wait to be there with them.
2013 U.S. Snowboarding Team Roster
Name, Hometown, Club, Date of Birth
* Denotes Olympian
** Pursuing degree in Westminster College partnership program
2013 U.S. Snowboarding Halfpipe Pro Team
Greg Bretz (Mammoth Lakes, CA, Mammoth Charter School) 12/19/90 *
Matt Ladley (Chicago, IL, Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club) 5/17/91
Scotty Lago (Seabrook, NH) 11/12/87 *
Benji Farrow (Ludlow, VT; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club) 3/8/92
Louie Vito (Sandy, UT) 3/20/88 *
Luke Mitrani (Bondville, VT) 7/20/90
Gretchen Bleiler (Aspen, CO; Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboard Club) 4/10/81 *
Kelly Clark (West Dover, VT; Mount Snow Academy) 7/26/83 *
Elena Hight (South Lake Tahoe, CA; American School) 8/17/89 *
Ellery Hollingsworth (Darien, CT; Stratton Mountain School) 9/2/91**
Hannah Teter (Belmont, VT; Okemo Mountain School) 1/27/87 *
Maddy Schaffrick (Steamboat Springs, CO; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club) 4/24/94 **
2013 U.S. Snowboarding Slopestyle Pro Team –
Chas Guldemond (Reno, NV) 4/22/87
Sage Kotsenburg (Park City, UT) 7/27/93
Eric Willett (Breckenridge, CO) 1/2/88
Jessika Jenson (Rigby, ID) 8/7/91
Jordie Karlinski (Snowmass Village, CO; Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboard Club) 8/24/89
Ty Walker (Stowe, VT) 3/3/97
2013 U.S. Snowboarding Halfpipe Rookie Team
Taylor Gold (Steamboat Springs, CO; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club) 11/17/93
Brett Esser (Dubuque, IA) 10/12/92 **
Ben Ferguson (Bend, OR) 1/21/95
Arielle Gold (Steamboat Springs, CO; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club) 5/4/96
Kyle Mack (West Bloomfield, MI) 7/6/97
Serena Shaw (Stratton Mountain, VT; Stratton Mountain School) 1/22/95
Spencer Shaw (Stratton Mountain, VT; Stratton Mountain School) 1/29/93 **
Gabe Ferguson (Bend, OR) 4/16/99
U.S. Snowboarding Staff
Jeremy Forster, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Director
Abbi Nyberg, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Program Manager
Kate Morton, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Team Manager
Dave Coombs, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Slopestyle Technician
Stu Soars, U.S. Snowboarding Halfpipe Technician
Lauren Ziaks, U.S. Snowboarding Physical Therapist
Mike Jankowski, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Head Coach
Rick Bower, U.S. Snowboarding Halfpipe Coach
Tommy Czeschin, U.S. Snowboarding Assistant Halfpipe Coach
Bill Enos, U.S. Snowboarding Slopestyle Coach
Spencer Tamblyn, U.S. Snowboarding National Development Coach
Official U.S. Snowboarding Suppliers
Wax, Tools, Training Devices and Accessories
Official Education Partner